Thursday, September 30, 2010

Numerically Speaking

This past Tuesday was the two-week anniversary of my Low-Car Diet!  Woo hoo!  That means I'm a little over half way there.  To monitor my progress, I've been keeping a log of my transportation habits.  Let me show you some of the numbers I've come up with so far. 

As of Tuesday 9/28
  • I have spent $45.75 for transportation
  • Made 28 trips on public transit
  • Traveled 5 miles on my bike (not including bike rides for exercises)
  • Walked about 10 miles
Pretty cool, eh?  Purely from the standpoint of $$ spent, my average semi-monthly cost for owning a car (i.e. gas, insurance, maintenance) comes to about $189 - my Low-Car Life has saved me about $143 so far!  Sweet!

Although I don't have a log on this one, I run errands less often now, which also contributed to me buying less stuff (you know how it is, you go to Target to buy a dish soap and you come home with a couple of new outfits...), thus spending less!!  By the way, if you're interested in learning about how it may not be such a good idea to participate in a highly consumer-oriented culture, check this out.

I've been getting a hang of this Low-Car thing.  I daydream of getting rid of my car often.  Instead of feeling the loss, I feel free.  Imagine not having to worry about going to a gas station that sells gas 2 cents cheaper than the other ones.  Imagine not having to take your car in and spend a lot of money to get it fixed.  Imagine not having to get into your car after a long day of work and sit in a traffic getting pissed off at some bad drivers.  Imagine not having to try to find a parking spot in a busy grocery store parking lot (especially when SUVs take up 1.5 parking spot). 

At this point, I'm not sure if I'll ever get rid of my car.  But dreaming about it sure is fun. 

1 comment: